Monday, October 10, 2011

Anyone for a taste of fantasy? Kat knows all about it...

So just what is disturbing inspirational fantasy? Let's ask Kat, and we will find out.

Kat Heckenbach is a graduate of the University of Tampa, Magna Cum Laude, B.S. in Biology. She spent several years teaching, but never in a traditional classroom–everything from Art to Algebra II—and now homeschools her two children. Her writing spans the gamut from inspirational personal essays to dark and disturbing fantasy and horror, with over forty short fiction and nonfiction credits to her name. Her debut novel, MG fantasy Finding Angel, is available in print and ebook. Enter her world at www.katheckenbach.com  and www.findingangel.com .

SKC.     Welcome Kat. Before we start talking about you as a writer, let’s discuss who you are away while away from your computer. Tell us a little about you. Who is this lady next door?

KH.     I’m a homeschool mom of two kids and married to an engineer. Before the kids came along I was assistant direct of and taught upper-level math at Sylvan Learning Center. And before that, I attended the University of Tampa where I earned a B.S. in Biology. Before that, if you’d known me, you probably wouldn’t believe any of the above. I grew up with plans to be an artist and never have kids.

SKC.   Woops! Sounds like a few changes took place.  Tell us about your new book

KH.     Finding Angel is a middle grade fantasy about a girl named Angel. She was found wandering, with amnesia at the age of six and taken in by a foster family. They love her, and she loves them, but something inside her can’t seem to accept her place there. She is enamored by all things fantasy, and dreams of story book magic being real. Then, at the age of 13, she meets Gregor, who saves her life with magic, and soon learns the truth about who she is and where she’s from—and her role in a prophecy that is directly related to the madman who set her fate in motion.

SKC.   A fantasy sounds perfect for that age group, but also a lot of older readers I've spoken to.  What was your inspiration for this book?

KH.     I’ve always loved fantasy novels, and much like Angel, when I was young I would have loved to find out I was actually from someplace where magic is real. I was naturally drawn to the idea of writing exactly the kind of adventure I would have liked to read about when I was a kid.

SKC.    I would have to agree. How long does it take you (on average) to write a book, from first word to putting it in the publisher’s hands?

KH.     Well, this is my first book. It took me three months to write the first draft. But it was four years before it was finally published. I spent the years in-between working on my craft, editing and rewriting, and building my credentials. I accumulated over 40 short story credits during that time, both fiction and non-fiction, in online magazines, print magazines, and print anthologies. Many of those stories are actually companion stories to Finding Angel.

SKC.  Three months. That's great. I have never been able to say that. It takes me forever. So what’s next for you? Can you talk about what you’re working on now?

KH.     The sequel to Finding Angel, of course J. I plan on this being a trilogy, with a fourth book serving as a prequel. I know—how completely fantasy of me to do that :P. I honestly didn’t plan it that way in the beginning, but the story grew as I wrote Finding Angel.

I’m also working on a completely unrelated novel that would qualify as a paranormal thriller.

SKC.   I'll be curious to hear about that too!  What do you enjoy most about writing? Least?

KH.     Most—brainstorming story ideas. That passionate scribbling as the ideas flow. Figuring out how the plot elements will tie together, and who the main character will be.

           Least—trying to get myself to write when my muse is being uncooperative.  

SKC.     Maybe that uncooperative muse is what is wrong with me. Where do you get your ideas?

KH.      Honestly, a lot of my short story ideas just plop into my head out of nowhere. Once I’m into a story, though, the ideas for details can come from just about anywhere.

SKC: Thank you for being with us, Kat. And thank you for offering to share one of your books with one of our readers. We enjoyed your visit, and look forward to reading your book.
         Is there anything you'd like to ask one of our readers?

KH: In my novel each of the characters has a Talent—a magic ability stronger than all their other magic, such as being able to Transform one natural substance into another, or Controlling the weather, or Angel’s ability to Find objects anywhere in the world. If you could choose a Talent, what would it be?

SKC: Thanks. That's a great question to ask. Be sure to let us know here where we can find you and also where we can locate your books.

       Finding Angel site:www.findingangel.com
       My Facebook page:
       https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kat-Heckenbach-Author-and-Artist/125084577483

       My books can be found in print and ebook online at
       Barnes & Noble (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Finding-Angel/Kat-Heckenbach/e/9781927154137?itm=1&usri=finding+angel+kat+heckenbach)
       Smashwords (http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/84830)

 READERS: PLEASE BE SURE TO ADD YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT  KAT'S QUESTION (in red, above)  AS YOU WRITE IN. AND LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. THANKS SO MUCH.
Congratulations to Brenda B. Hill of Warner Robins, Georgia. You just won Finding Angel! Watch for it in the mail soon.


11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me here, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to try my hand at writing. I would also love to be a painter. a good painter. Thanks for the great interview. I don't have any young people in my home but I am definitely going to tell my neighbor girls about your book.
    janice Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice, thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed the interview. And best of luck with the painting. I'm more of a pencil artist, but wish I had more painting skill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview. thanks. I will be sure to tell my niece about this book. Take care.
    Betty
    Omaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the title to this book.
    My talent is working with my animals I guess. I would sure like to win this book. Madilynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound great. Congrats and best wishes with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds great! I've always wished I could shake my magic wand and the house would be clean! :) (Or snap my fingers and become skinny). :)

    I guess super strength would be cool, too.

    Missy
    missytippens {at} aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kat, I could use the ability to find things. As I get older my memory fails me often. lol.. As Missy said above, would love to wave a magic wand and have my house cleaned and this would give me more reading time. Sounds like a great book and one I would love to read. Thanks for the opportunity to enter giveaway.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Действительно проверенный вариант – многообразные порталы по оформлению дипломов и реализации простейших действий в социальных сетях. Бывает многообразное число хитростей подзаработать в мировой сети. Взять например, сайт гидры hydra ссылка, в детальных мануалах выставлены реальные средства получить доход в internet. Посещая портал, пользователь запросто заметит множество средств для улучшения своей финансовой ситуации.

    ReplyDelete