Thursday, December 16, 2010

She Says People Need to Laugh More ...

At the top of your head, can you guess the author's name who has had twenty-six books published in between searching out some new exotic tea?

Bestselling and award-winning author, Anita Higman, has twenty-six books published (several coauthored) for adults and children, and she has been honored as a Barnes & Noble Author of the Month for Houston. Anita has a BA degree, combining speech communication, psychology, and art. Her favorite things include exotic teas, movies, and all things Jane Austen.

SDC: Over the last few years you have become both a well-known and talented writer, Anita. Before you tell us about your newest release coming, please fill us in on what got you started writing from the beginning.

Anita: Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a writer, but my writing back then was remarkably terrible. No one told me that you had to practice writing just like the piano or tennis or anything else you wanted to be good at. So, because I thought I’d never improve, I put the dream of writing on a shelf for a long time. Years later I was reading a novel—can’t remember the title—when all at once, a bold and yet somewhat naive resolve settled in my spirit. I yelled to my husband in the next room, “I think I can do this.” It was a crossroads kind of life-moment. I wish I could say that my choice immediately led to the idyllic life, but my road was not a smooth one. But I kept after my dream this time, writing even when there was no inspiration and writing even when I thought I’d never get published. But I’m happy to say that persistence and practice finally paid off.

My latest release is a coauthored novella collection entitled, Love Finds You Under the Mistletoe. I had the opportunity to work with Irene Brand on this project, and we became good friends in the process. My novella is entitled, Once Upon a Christmas Eve, and it’s a love triangle—two men in love with the heroine, Holly Goodnight. I hope readers are entertained and inspired with the story.

SDC: I read in your blog, your purpose for writing and was blessed by that. What kind of response to you receive from readers who have been influenced greatly by one of your books?

Anita: I hope readers come away knowing that God is watching out for them. That he really works all things for good. I’m also hoping they have some chuckles along the way. People, all people, need to laugh more. It’s good for us in so many ways.

SDC: Do you work through an agent? If so, how did you go about finding yours, and what was your criteria for selecting?

Anita: Yes, I work with an agent. I’ve met agents in several different ways over the years, but I think one of the best ways to connect is to attend writer’s conferences. One important criterion is to make sure you get along well together. So, these one-on-one sessions at conferences are important. They give you time to chat and ask questions and get to know each other.

SDC: Anita, what’s your favorite Bible verse or verse that has sustained you recently and why?

Anita: I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. Psalm 121:1 (KJV) I can’t say that I’ve used this verse recently, but it is an important verse in my life. It has brought me comfort many times over the years when my husband was traveling.

SDC: I love that verse too. That takes me to a room that's special to us, oftentimes. Many writers have favorite rooms or spaces in our home or around our homes that we use to get our creativity juices flowing. Where is your favorite place to go and why? Does it often play any part in your story writing?

Anita: I do almost all of my work in my home office. That is where the juices flow for me. If I get stumped I usually run some errands, and by the time I get back I have my answer. So, I never underestimate the power of getting away from the computer for a few minutes to refresh.

SDC: I'm not sure why, but I discovered I haven’t yet had the opportunity to read one of your books. I hope to soon. Have you ever considered writing about a character who leaves the United States and goes elsewhere to find his or her love? What is your favorite place for a setting?

Anita: Good question. I would love to set a novel in Italy. My husband and I were there several months ago. Very beautiful. Very romantic.

SDC: Oh yes. You can't get much more romantic than that. Have you ever written anything that you had to later toss? How would you describe your OLD file system of “works in progress” that you chose not to pursue?

Anita: Yes, I have lots of old manuscripts that I now call “practice.” I doubt I would want any of them published. Most of them probably have as much depth as a puddle of rainwater.

SDC: (I'm laughing at that answer. Good descriptive way to put it. ) I understand you have a book you would like to share with one of our readers. That is always exciting to us here at the blog. Tell us which one you are planning to donate. Also, what question would you like to have answered to help me select the winner?

Anita: I’ll be giving away a copy of Love Finds You Under the Mistletoe. My question is this: Besides Christ’s birth, what do you love most about Christmastime?

SDC: Ah, it will be interesting to hear the answers to that one. It’s been a real pleasure having you here at A Pen for Your Thoughts, Anita. As we close, please tell us where your books can quickly be found and where our readers can look you up.

Anita: My new releases are usually at LifeWay, Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, and www.Christianbook.com. When a book starts to go out of print generally it can still be found on Amazon. Please feel free to drop by my website at www.anitahigman.com .

READERS: As we move in to the Christmas week, be sure to answer Anita’s question above to try to win a copy of her book!

Merry Christmas and Lord's Blessings on Kim Thorne of Somerset NewJersey. You just won a copy of Anita's books! May it bring you great joy in the new year!

10 comments:

  1. I love the decorations and the smells.
    wsmarple/at/gmail/dot/com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love most is that all the world stops and celebrates Christ's birth!! It is CHRISTmas, even if some would weant to think otherwise

    Kim
    kim(dot)msjmom(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the decorations and smells too, Wendy. But I especially appreciate the music of Christmas as my candles are glowing.

    I agree with you as well, Kim. Christmas wouldn't even be Christmas if it wasn't for our glorious Lord finding His abode in all of our hearts.

    May you both be blessed just for taking a moment to write in.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having my whole family together at Christmas.
    Ann_Lee_Miller@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fact that people seem to be more relaxed, easy-going, and friendly. What other time of year will people stand in long lines and converse with others and not complain about the wait? It all goes back to the very reason that we are celebrating in the first place.

    I also like it that I get to spend time with my family, including my adorable grandsons!

    janmarien[at]embarqmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, I love all the things you gals love. Very moving. Thank you for all your input on this grace-filled holiday!

    Anita Higman
    www.anitahigman.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a joyous season and a time for family and friends to get together.

    Blessings,
    Jo
    ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the deeper meaning. I'm glad many are bringing it out this year. For so long it seemed like the true meaning of Christmas was left out.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I agree, for too long people have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas. I'm glad to see it's alive and well on this blog!

    May you each have a merry merry Christmas!

    Anita Higman
    www.anitahigman.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete